Affiliate Summit West is just over a week away and I am busy making my to do list and preparing to make the most of the conference. It can be an overwhelming three days, so it is best to prepare now. There will be thousands of people in attendance and many different sessions, merchants, affiliates, and managers to meet with.
Here are my 7 tips:
- There are germs everywhere! January is high flu season and people will be coming from all over the world to attend. I’ve already started my pre-conference regimen of Emergen-C, Elderberry Syrup, and Oil of Oregano. I will continue to take these once I arrive and also carry around a bottle of hand sanitizer. I like a spray as you can also use it on the airplane tray table, door knobs, etc.
- Bring lots of business cards. You are going to meet a lot of people and this still is the best way to exchange contact information. I love the mini cards from Moo as it is a memorable shape and they have lots of ways to customize them.
- Familiarize yourself with the area. Paris is a new location, so we will all be on a bit of equal footing for this Affiliate Summit. The Las Vegas hotels are spread out, flashy, and not always easy to navigate. I like to figure out what type of restaurants are at Paris, where the nearest Walgreens is (for bottled water and snacks), and if there is a Starbucks within walking distance.
- Make appointments now. Find out if any of the merchants you represent (or want to) are going to be there ahead of time and get in touch before the conference.
- Don’t be afraid to talk to new people. I’m a huge introvert, so this is a tough one for me. I have learned how to let my outgoing self out though and it has been very helpful in making long lasting connections.
- Download the Affiliate Summit App. There is one for Android and one for iPhone. It will have session information, the agenda, a map, a twitter feed, and more. I found it very helpful in Philly for Affiliate Summit East. That way you can pick out the sessions you want to attend now, add them to your calendar and get reminders at ASW.
- Comfortable shoes! I know I say this everytime, but I see so many people in ridiculous (well to me, I’m a birkis kind of girl) shoes. There is so much walking and comfort comes first for me.
- Tricia Meyer says “My new tip is to try to clear your inbox as much as possible before you do so that you do not feel like you are already behind in work by the time you get there.”
- Ashley Coombe says “Bring a big bag instead of just a carry on if you’re planning on getting schwag. I didn’t think of that my first time there.”
- Eric Nagel wrote a blog post on the best non-conference advice.
What are your favorite tips? Share them in the comments below.
Shawn Collins says
There is also my new book, “How to Get the Most Out of Attending a Conference,” which is free today for Kindle, and features a picture of you in it. 🙂
How did I miss this? It has my picture in it? Awesome 🙂